A Guide about Pediatric Dentistry
Pediatric dentistry plays an important role in the lives of our kids. Lack of proper dental hygiene and care can give rise to bigger health problems such as tooth decay (it begins in the major portion of the tooth known as enamel), gum disease (infection or inflammation of the tissues surrounding the teeth) and tooth erosion (a slow erosion of tooth enamel by the action of acid on the teeth).
So, what exactly pediatric dentistry is? Well, it is an area of expertise that provide primary and complete preventive and therapeutic oral health care for children using the techniques from general dentistry and specialties.
Role of pediatric dentists
Pediatric dentists are generally involved in treating a wide range of diseases in infants, children, youngsters, including those with special health care needs. Below mentioned are some of the key roles of pediatric dentists:
- Pediatric dentists educate children and their parents about the importance of oral health and preventative oral health care.
- They are responsible for diagnosing oral diseases
- They create treatment plans to maintain or restore the oral health of their patients
- Pediatric dentists also interpret x-rays and diagnostic tests
- They monitor the growth and development of the teeth and jaws
- Ensure safe administration of anesthetics
- Pediatric dentists carry out surgical procedures on the teeth, bone and soft tissues of the oral cavity
Types of treatments
Different types of treatments that pediatric dentists provide to their patients include:
- Infant oral health exams including risk assessment for caries in mother and child
- Repairing tooth cavities or defects
- Preventive dental care that involve cleaning and fluoride treatments, nutrition and diet recommendations, etc
- Early determination and treatment for straightening teeth and correcting an improper bite
- Diagnosis of oral conditions related with diseases like congenital heart defect, asthma, hyperactivity disorder, diabetes, etc.
- Providing medical care for dental injuries
- Treating hum diseases and conditions such as mucoceles, pediatric periodontal disease, ulcers, short frenulae, etc
Make sure to take your child for early checkups to ensure they are protected from decay and cavities. Consulting with experienced dental pediatricians in Charlotte will also help you understand the ways to take good care of your children’s dental health.